Monday, July 21, 2008

Brushable Rubber Casting
















Start with a sulfur free clay positive, I use Klean Clay. 

Mix rubber 1:1  for at least 6 mins. This is a brushable rubber called smooth on which I ordered from Poly-tek.  You can get it in different amounts but it is delivered fast and they have a good help line if you need to be talked through a procedure.

Spray anchored clay with release. The rubber gets really heavy and thick, make sure you anchor or your piece will fall over. This little man is simple in form and I plan on just covering him and cutting the under cut between his legs to pull him out when he is cast. This is the simplest one part mold and will need a small amount of touch up work because I am "Not about perfection".















After you mix the rubber really really well and it begins to thicken drip it over the clay, don't fuss with it though just cover it.  This middle pic is of the two parts of rubber before they are mixed and change color. 

My biggest suggestion is mix really small batches of rubber and mix well because the set time is pretty short and the rubber needs to be mixed evenly or you will get clumps.

This last pic is the entire rubber mold. Next I will mix plaster and make a mother mold over the rubber to help support the mold when I pour into it.  Then once that is set I will take out the clay from the rubber and pour plaster into the mold and get my first cast.

And that is my version of sloppy casting methods .....   

No comments: